Since December 2012 I no longer work for the TU/e. Please visit my new home page at the ULB
Assistant professor in the Information Systems (IS) Group
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
Faculty of Math and Computer Science (W&I)
PO Box 513
5600 MB Eindhoven
Tel.: +31 40 2474568
Fax: +31 40 2463992
In 1999, I graduated from the University of Antwerp with
a diploma in Mathematics. I received my PhD in Computer Science from the same university in
May 2003, in the database research group ADReM.
From May 2003 until September 2006, I continued working in the ADReM group as a post-doctoral
researcher. Since October 2006, I am an assistant professor in the Information
Systems group at the Eindhoven Technical University. Together with Bart Goethals, at the University of Antwerp,
I was advisor of Adriana Bechara Prado who received her PhD in
December 2009 and I am still advisor (also together with Bart Goethals) of
Calin Garboni of the University of Antwerp.
At the TU Eindhoven I am the day-to-day advisor of Faisal Kamiran since February 2008, and of Thanh Lam Hoang since
MSc students I have been/am guiding:
- Advanced Databases: 2011, 2010, 2009. ADB was the successor of Database Models: 2007, 2008.
- Data Mining 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
- Seminar Databases and Hypermedia 2010, 2009
- Databases I 2008, 2006
I am the coordinator for the MSc projects for Databases and Hypermedia
- Ongoing: Geert Kemps, Hossein Nassabi
- 2010: Ying Zhang, Rutger Saalmink
- 2009: Siem Opschoor, Firat Gelbal
- 2008: Ashwin Vijayaraghavan, and Deepank Gupta.
- 2007: Koen Penders
My research interests include Data Mining and Databases in general. Currently I am very interested in incorporating background
knowledge into pattern mining and classification. My past research mainly has been concerned with frequent pattern mining,
the integration of data mining in database systems, condensed representations and the complexity of reasoning about frequencies.
See some slides of a recent talk I gave on the dangers of data mining for the lecturing series Studium Generale at the TU/e.
- NWO research project 2009-2013: COMPASS
- (finished) NWO research project 2009-2010: Discrimination-Aware Data Mining
- (finished) FWO Research project 2006-2009: Foundations of Inductive Databases for Data Mining
- IEEE IC4 best student paper award for this paper.
- KDNet PKDD 2002 Best paper award for this paper.
- KDubiq PKDD 2007 Best paper award for this paper.
- IBM Belgium price Computer Science 2000 for Masters dissertations.
- 2011: Conference chair (together with M. Pechenizkiy) of the International Conference of Educational Data Mining (EDM2011)
- BNAIC: Local organizer and Program chair (together with Karl Tuyls) of the Belgian-Dutch-Luxemburg Conference on Artificial Intelligence (BNAIC 2009)
- Co-organizer ECML/PKDD Workshop on Induction of Process Models (IPM)
- Co-organizer International Workshop on Educational Data Mining (EDM@ICALTí07) in conjunction with ICALT
- Co-organizer International Workshop on Applying Data Mining in e-Learning (ADMLí07) in conjunction with EC-TEL
- Organizer Dutch-Belgian Database Day (DBDBD'07)
- Belgian Data Mining Day (BDMD; together with Bart Goethals)
Program Committee Member
- ACM SAC DM-track (2004-2009)
- IEEE ICDM (2008: area chair, 2009-2010)
- ACM SIGKDD (2007-2011)
- ECMLPKDD (2007; 2008-2010: area chair; 2011)
- SIAM DM (2008-2010)
- ACM PODS (2009, 2012)
- CIKM (2010)
- Several workshops: KDID (2004-2006), SADM (2009-2010), CMILE (2007), ...
Editorial Board Member
Reviewer for Journals
Information Processing Letters,
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering,
ACM Transactions On Database Systems,
ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery in Databases,
Knowledge and Information Systems,
Intelligent Data Analysis,